DataStage is a product from IBM, used as the strategic ETL tool within many organizations.
It can be used for multiple purposes:
- Interfacing between multiple databases.
- Changing of data from one format to another. Example: From database to flat files, XML files, etc.
- Fast access to data that doesn’t change often
- Interacts with WebSphere MQ to provide real time processing capabilities triggered by external messages.
Datastage is client server technology, It’s a GUI based ETL tool from IBM Corporation.
Design jobs for Extraction, Transformation, and Loading (ETL)
Ideal tool for data integration projects – such as, data warehouses, data marts, and system migrations
Import, export, create, and manage metadata for use within jobs
Schedule, run, and monitor jobs all within DataStage
Administer your DataStage development and execution environments
Create batch (controlling) jobs.
Usage of DataStage within organizations
- DataStage has Windows Clients which connect to the Server on the Unix / Windows or Mainframe platform.
- The clients can be used to develop, deploy and run datastage jobs.
- In a deployment environment, the jobs can be kicked off through scripts directly on Unix servers.